The Economics Department at the Storrs Campus is hiring 1-2 Peer Academic Assistants for the 2020-2021 Academic Year.
See job description, qualifications and apply at: www.studentjobs.uconn.edu
This is a work-study position. We are unable to fund this position without work study at this time.
Title: Student Academic Services Specialist - 3640ST
Job #: 11351
Qualified applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must Have work study awarded as part of your financial aid package for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- 3.0 cumulative GPA or above
- Storrs Campus student (it’s alright if you are taking all online courses, but your home campus must be Storrs)
- Have been a declared ECON major for at least two full semesters (by start of Fall 2019). Negotiable.
- An upperclassman
- A resume is required as a part of the application
The Department of Economics houses around 1200 Economics majors at the Storrs Campus and roughly a couple hundred minors. We also get calls, emails and drop-in inquiries from other students seeking to take ECON courses.
Our Peer Academic Assistants (PAA) are current upperclassmen undergraduate Economics majors who assist the Academic Advisors in serving our large population of Economics majors and minors as they determine their class schedules to help fulfill academic requirements. The PAAs play a vital role in helping to assist them during open advising hours, by phone and by email, when we are on campus. During the quarantine period, they will help by email or online chat. PAAs are highly trained and very knowledgeable upperclassmen who all have a variety of experiences in student groups, studying abroad, internships, and leadership opportunities.
During Remote Working:
- Assist students by email and possibly by online chat.
- Assist with other academic projects as needed.
- Demonstrate and guide students on how to search for information, learn and use the various tools and functions in the Studentadmin system, and find information on the ECON Dept website, other office websites and use other resources.
- Help students determine their academic requirements using their advisement report, plans of study, major and general education requirement videos, websites, and other tools available to them.
- Manage the social media pages for the ECON majors, including ECON major Facebook page, LinkedIn and the weekly e-newsletter The Uconnomist.
- Be a representative of the ECON student population and relate to the full time academic advisors about common concerns and opinions of students being expressed.
- During remote working period, there will not be a set weekly schedule. PAA will work as needed and report actual hours worked, not to exceed average of 7 hours per week.
When Office Reopens: In addition to above,
- Assist students in person, by phone, by email and possibly by online chat.
- Assist students on a drop-in basis in the main Economics Office.
- Assist with Open House events, majors fairs, the annual Economics Awards ceremony and other departmental events as needed.
- Assist with routine office administrative tasks.
- Assist students with using Nexus and scheduling advising appointments.
- Monitor the flow and intake on Nexus of students signing in for appointments and drop-ins.
- Triage the traffic of people entering the Econ Dept main office and direct as appropriate.
- Maintain supply of paper forms and make copies when running low.
- Assist Office Manager with getting mail and stocking coffee station as needed.
- A weekly schedule of hours will be set when working in the office.
For more information, contact: Economics Department at firstname.lastname@example.org